What is the Trusted Advisor Program?
YTN’s Trusted Advisor Program started in 2017 as a one-to-one coaching program. The Program has been recently reviewed to assess the needs of students, and it is returning for its 3rd year on a new shape and form.
The Trusted Advisor Program aims to provide tourism, events and hospitality students the opportunity to learn from experienced professionals, and gain a better understanding of the tourism industry and the jobs available within the different sectors.
The 2019 Program will run from 14 August to 23 October.
- To provide students with an understanding of the different sectors and positions within the tourism industry
- To provide students a link to the tourism industry
- To provide opportunities for students in tourism, events or hospitality to meet and learn from experienced tourism professionals
- To provide tourism professionals an opportunity to enhance their existing leadership and communication skills by becoming an Advisor
Applications will open soon. Keep tuned!
For more information, or interested in applying, please contact: email@example.com
Check out the Information Pack for Advisors
Meet & Greet (both Advisors and Advisees), followed by coaching training with Mel Neil (Advisors only) | 14 August, 5pm to 8.30pm, location TBC.
Participating students come together for a meet and greet with all Advisors of the Trusted Advisor Program (5.15-6.15pm). Advisors proceed to a coaching session with Mel Neil.
Program Sessions | Between w/c 19 August and w/c 14 October.
Advisees participate in five sessions – each run by an Advisor at their work environment. Each session will run for approx. 2-3 hours.
Please note: Advisors only commit to running one session. Dates are to be confirmed with the YTN Committee before the start of the Program.
Closing event | 23 October, 5.30pm – 8pm, location TBC.
Benefits and Requirements
BENEFITS FOR PARTICIPANTS
Advisees will gain an understanding of the broader tourism industry, higher awareness of career pathways in tourism, receive career and professional guidance from experienced professionals and build a strong network within the industry.
Advisors will have the opportunity to enhance their leadership, coaching and communication skills and increase their network, while contributing to the future of the Victorian tourism workforce.
– Complimentary ticket for YTN’s Career Confidence seminar on 21 August
– 25% discount for YTN’s Christmas Party
– Complimentary ticket for YTN’s Building Big Ideas – Discover your Inner Entrepreneur seminar on 12 September
– 25% discount for YTN’s Christmas Party
REQUIREMENTS – FOR ADVISORS
- Participants must be industry professionals with at least 5 years’ experience in one of these areas: 1. Marketing, 2. Customer Service/Front-of-house, 3. Events, 4. Tour Operator/Tour Guides, 5. Sales/Business Development
- No more than one Advisor from the same organisation can participate in the Program, in the same year
- Participants must attend the meet and greet, and the coaching session with Mel Neil on 14 August
- Participants must hold one program session at their workplace (approx. 2-3 hours)
- Participants must attend the closing event on 23 October
REQUIREMENTS – FOR ADVISEES
- Applicants must be a member of the Young Tourism Network
- Applicants must be studying or seeking a career in Tourism, Events or Hospitality
- If the applicant is a student in any of the above or related fields: students must be at least half-way their studies
- Participants must be available to attend all sessions of the Program – dates will be confirmed before applications for Advisees open.
Meet Mel Neil
Mel Neil- Mind Insurance
Mel Neil is an Australian positive psychology practitioner and consultant. She designs and delivers custom emotional intelligence and strengths based leadership and performance programs for public and private sectors. As a credentialed trainer in leading emotional intelligence and positive psychology assessment instruments, Mel also provides certified training, course facilitation and coaching.
Mel’s innovative programs are recognised by peak bodies both domestically and internationally. She co-designed the first Australian Government accredited Diploma of Positive Psychology which is now delivered in the United Kingdom, Canada and New Zealand. She also co-designed and continues to facilitate the award-winning Melbourne Tourism Leadership Program.
The uniting theme of Mel’s work is her desire to empower and facilitate the success of individuals and communities. This objective drives the astute application of her positive psychology research, knowledge and skills to teach both leaders and teams how to increase personal, business and collective well-being.
By completing an online form. Links to the forms are be shared soon.
Advisees: only current members of the Young Tourism Network are able to participate. Students may be from any University, TAFE or Institute, however must be studying tourism, events, hospitality or a related field (e.g. marketing, business). Students may be at least half-way their studies.
Advisors: do not need to be a member of the Young Tourism Network but must have at least 5 years’ experience in one of the following fields:
– Customer Service/Front-of-house
– Tour operator/Tour Guides
– Sales/Business Development
Advisors will be notified on 17 July
Advisees will be notified by 8 August
With thanks to our Program Partner, Mind Insurance, the Trusted Advisor Program is entirely free for participants.